It's that call for something beyond you.
For something Greater.
Purpose. Drive. Peace.
That's what this song is about.
Pardon the Bulgarian subtitles. I can't find a normal one. =P Here are the lyrics. Really, listen to the whole song, it's good.
It's our calling.
When we step aside
From the center of our lives
When we learn to love mercy
More than being right
Pursuing peace and honesty
Can I love mercy more than being right? I've thought a lot about that especially with debate lately. Debate, it seems, has recently been a battle of who is more right. But in reality, it's not about proving who is more right, but about what you learn along the way. It's not about being right but -- when it comes down to it -- about being honest and loving.
Yes, there really are loving ways to debate personal freedom and economic security.
Starting down the road of selflessness
And seeing where it leads
Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of not jumping into anything without knowing what it might hold. I've been consumed with trying to know that whatever choice I make, the outcome will be successful and fulfilling. (Who do I think I am, God?)
When was the last time I just started down a path just to see where it lead -- as opposed to always worrying about which one will take me to the best place possible?
Am I that daring? Could I surrender my precious dreams for something greater that I can't yet see? It's not just a dream like a dream of being a famous gymnast or a world renowned debater.
No, this is the dream of thrill, adventure, laughter, friendship, happiness, contentment. Of being a person of worth on my own merit. The dream of being confident, capable, likeable. The dream of having control over my life and what happens in it - as if my own thwarted agenda will make me content.
It's the dream of a fulfilled life. What better could there be right?
My 7th grade teacher taught me that the key to happiness is fulfilling your purpose. But do you have any idea how stressful (not to mention impossible and vain) this kind of a dream this is? I wasn't created for this kind of purpose.
I was created for something more. A purpose that only a wildly glorious Creator could instill. And somehow, it's one that only he can fulfill.
There's a better way to live.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments!