Saturday, March 26

A Lot of Logs.

The following is an cut/pasted excerpt from my original oratory in speech this year that I have been giving this week. And as I give it, I keep seeing God use it to speak to myself, to learn from it. Like a lot. This speech tournament has been a crazy up and down of emotion (they usually aren't like this. Great, huh?) and it's been really hard to keep my focus on Christ....to stay positive. You could pray for that today, as I go into semis and finals. (if I go to semis and finals. =P )


Have you ever noticed how one little thing can turn your day for the better – or for the worst?

I can be having a great day, and someone can say one thing – and it can ruin the rest of my day. Sometimes it can ruin the rest of my week. Why? Because my feelings are based off of circumstances.

Joy, however, is different. Joy does not come from happenings or circumstances, and it does not disappear in the blink of a mood.

It is one of the hardest things in the world to choose to be cheerful when circumstances turn against us. But when you take that simple step of obedience in surrendering to Christ that He will bring joy into your life.

Habakkuk 3:17-18 says Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls—Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (NKJV Hab 3:17)

In this translation, the New King James Version, the word “joy” is used as a verb: indicating that it is an action.

It sounds cliché to say that I realized that God is with me no matter what the circumstance, and that He does have a perfect plan for everything. But this becomes such a beautiful truth when you simply don’t know what God is doing and you are left with no choice but to trust Him. I discovered that when I was willing to give up my circumstance-based feelings completely to Him – to surrender my desire for happiness for His desire for my life: He returned it with joy – joy that can only come from Him.

Happiness is a feeling – joy is a choice. We've seen how the choice of joy and a relationship with God can become real in our lives by seeking to the One who can satisfy us completely. When we are willing to take that action, to come before God and surrender ourselves to Him, realizing that there is a greater – eternal – purpose that will bring glory to God: He will give us joy. A happiness beyond words.

John 16:22 - Therefore you now have sorrow - but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice! And your joy no one will take from you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This concept of joy vs. happiness is something God has been teaching me about lately... and then to come on your blog and find a post about it! The comment that comes to mind is, "What a coincidence!" But that wouldn't be true...

    Been praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!