Our neighborhood is nearly entirely inhabited by Sikhs and Muslims. (You know, the turbaned people who drive taxis and pray five times a day and paint their houses neon orange)
But they're dedicated, rather peaceful people, actually. (at least the ones around us!)
I'm always seeing them walking and doing those weird stretches at the park. If you smile at them, they smile and nod, and sometimes they'll let they're overly hyper child pet your dog.
If you happen to be introduced to one by one of their English speaking children, they are always quite cheerful and happy to meet you.
And if you've ever had the opportunity to poke your head into their house, you would see rugs galore, tapestries, doorsigns, photos, and mats. There would also be a pleasant smell of food that lingers just about all the time. Their gardens are full of all sorts of fruits, vegetables, and other exotic plants.
Living in a neighborhood surrounded by them, I've met a couple myself. And they really are quite pleasant people.
They do all of this in their headcoverings, pillowing dresses, braids, turbans, and ancient slippers.
No matter how spiritually lost they may be, you've got to admire commitment like that. This is in today's world - where we are constantly being pushed and shoved around to fit under a certain expectation.
Haven't you noticed how easy it is to tell what religion they're from - or at least what group of people? Even from a really young age, you can tell - because little boys and girls aren't allowed to cut their hair. (at least, this is my understanding....)
As Christians, what makes us different? Are we always as pleasant to strangers as they are? People don't necessarily have to be able to tell your beliefs by a single glance. But what impression do they get after interacting with you?
No, I haven't forgotten. We are saved by grace through faith and not by works - which sadly many of these religions believe we have to do to be saved. So we don't have to dress up in long dresses and cover ourselves up to our noses and drive out to a temple five times a day.
But what God does want us to do is to be attentive to His leading - to separate ourselves from the world. You can't be the same "except for Jesus". There has to be change in your life.
Romans 12:2 says and do not conform to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind - that you may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God.
Am I willing to face whatever discrimination may come so that Christ is proclaimed? Giving up certain styles of clothing, music, or speech? Where does my identity lie, and how does that play a role in my life?
Our way of life is influenced so heavily on what we believe about ourselves. What do my actions say about what I believe? What kind of "turban" do I wear? =P
I love this post, Hannah! It's wonderful! I was actually thinking of posting something similar to this a few weeks ago, but I never did. Maybe I will now :). The way you put is so profound and sincere, and reminds me of another post of yours that I loved, about living for Jesus even if no one else loved Him. Anyway, thank you for this!
ReplyDeleteOne other thing, I love the title of this post! Okay, that's all, really!
ReplyDeleteHannah, thanks for posting!!! This really got me thinking. So neat and true!
ReplyDeleteMay God bless you as you stand out for Him!
~Sarah H.
In youth group tonight we were studying Romans 12, 1-8. The verses, "Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind" really stuck out. It's so hard to do- but it's what we are commanded to do: to be transformed.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this!
~Haley