So, I finally got around to recording my Chopin with the motivation of getting it done in time to enter it into a competition our local radio station was holding. (which explains the nerdy intro at the beginning =P )
And now I'm on youtube. O.o
=P
Anyway, here it is. I failed the left hand in one part and ruined another chord at the end, and wasn't as pleased with the emotions that came out this time around......but it was alright, and it does more justice to this post. The thing about playing such an emotionally deep piece is that you get something just a little bit different every time.
I was wearing such a formal dress because of my co-op semi formal later that evening which I will have pictures for later. Sorry the video is so big.
Here's an excerpt from that post:
I like to call a piece of joyful serenity made perfect with pain and sweetened with God's grace, blessings, and love.
It's the joy you find in the midst of the pain.
The peace you find to accept what you have lost.
The grace God gives you to give up what you know you cannot keep.
The blessings He lavishes upon you to show you His everlasting, eternal, all-encompassing love.
It's not bittersweet, because it's not both at once. It's not just plain happiness, because there is pain in there.
You've probably heard that it's the darkness that makes the light beautiful. It's the pain that makes the healing wonderful.
This piece is a full, deep, meaningful joy that you won't experience fully unless you have endured the pain beforehand.
There are so many different feelings you can pull out of this piece, and that's why I love it.
It really has astonished me how many different ways you can play this piece, and the depth of emotion you are constantly finding. My sister and I were talking today about how positively deep music is - it never ends! There's always something new. You can spend months on one piece and still find new and exciting things in it.
The other day, I discovered "righteous anger" in the cadenza. (the really fast chromatic part at the end) Maybe it was because I had just watched this speech on abortion, or because I was feeling particularly angry at things I felt were not my fault.
Other times, the cadenza just screams "Why, God??"
But my favorite part is at the end. I discovered how to play the last two chords in a way that almost guarantee that the right notes are voiced. Part of it was that I put the words "Be Still" on those two chords.
So many times in life I don't understand why things are a certain way, why people do things the way they do, or how there ever could be an end.
But God always says,
Be....Still.
Listen for that at the end.
PS - Some other time, if anyone cares to listen, I'll geek out to you about different parts of that Chopin and how amazing they are (as if this weren't enough), as well as the intricate emotions I think Chopin put there; or perhaps I'll show you my Beethoven. ;)
Hey Miss Talented! I finally got to hear you play! Although, I would still love to hear you play live sometime. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I would love to hear you geek out about Chopin and Beethoven. As long as you don't mind me ranting on about the significance of Romeo & Juliet and little known facts about Broadway and musical theatre. Ooh… I am such a drama geek. :)
Anyway, you are very talented, Missy! Loved it and you look beautiful!
Love, Danielle Elizabeth
A couple things. First, you are AMAZING at playing the piano. Amazing. That's the only word I can think of to describe it-- other then excellent, wonderful, and brilliant. :) Second, My favorite part of that piece is like 1:27-1:30. But it's all so pretty!
ReplyDeleteAnd third, didn't that young lady do SUCH an incredible job on the abortion speech-- sad and all?
God bless!
That was so amazing Hannah! You did wonderfully.
ReplyDelete~Haley