When I was little, I used to try to have "perfect" days. I would try to be good for the entire day.It never worked. =P
So, at the end of the day, I always said to myself, "I'll try again tomorrow. I'll really do it this time."
And as I got older, I somehow kept that mentality. The idea that one day, it would suddenly happen - BOOM - I'd have life figured out.
Lately I've been frustrated with the fact that...I'm no different than I was 10 years ago. I still say "tomorrow I'll be different. Tomorrow I'll actually not check my email and I'll actually practice piano instead."
::snort::
I have a feeling I'd be a much better pianist if I'd ever actually put that idea into practice. (haaa see that clever use of a pun there? I actually didn't intend that.)
But really - I would say to myself as I went to bed "ugh! I failed again. But I won't fail tomorrow."
Isn't "tomorrow I'll stop procrastinating" an oxymoron?
As your stereotypical homeschooler saturated by the message of the Rebelution, I've had the idea that if I didn't do great things as a teenager, I've somehow wasted my entire life. I frowned upon my 18th birthday and felt as if my opportunities had all been taken away now that the number associated with my years of living is one higher than it was a month ago.
But the reality is - I will never have more time than I do right now.
I'm only going to be 18 once. Just for 365 days. Why ruin it by wishing it was something else?
Maybe tomorrow I'll start over
Maybe tomorrow I will finally change my ways
Said the same things yesterday
Don't know why I'm so afraid
To let you in
To let you win
To let you have all of me
Can't spend my whole life wastin'
Everything I know I've been given
'Cause you've made for so much more than
Sittin' on the side lines
I don't wanna look back and wonder
If good enough could've been better
Everyday's a day to start over
So, why am I waiting for tomorrow?
I don't want to look back and wonder if my "good enough" could have been better. I want to live life to the fullest, and not waste my time worrying about wasting my life. I'm going to get out there, do something, and live! And I'm going to do it today.
Wow...the tree behind you looks so much healthier than it does now now in...everything was so lush back then.
ReplyDeleteI think I've recieved some of your procrastination genes...this post is making me feel antsy.
I feel ya, sister! I have that mindset SO much, "Okay, today didn't go so well. But everything will be better in the morning! I'll do better tomorrow."
ReplyDeleteIsn't it good to know that our faith in God doesn't depend on what WE do? We would be really stuck if that was the case. Thank God that He is daily renewing us to be more like Him and live for His glory today.
Thanks for the encouragement! That's a great song. And that picture is really cute. :)