I have a broken disposition
I’m a liar who thirsts for the truth
And while I ache for faith to hold me
I need to feel the scars and see the proof
I use one hand to pull closer
The other to push you away
If I had two hands doing the same thing
Lifted high, lifted high
Am I living my life with two hands lifted towards my Maker? Or do I use one hand to pull Him closer and the other to push Him away? Pushing Him away with things like the computer, the internet, books, music...those "pretty things" that steal my heart away from Him?
I've got voices in my head and they are so strong
And I'm getting sick of this oh Lord, how long
Will I be haunted by the fear that I believe
My hands like locks on cages
Of these dreams I can't set free
But if I let these dreams die
If I lay down all my wounded pride
If I let these dreams die
Will I find that letting go lets me come alive? (Empty My Hands, tenth avenue north)
We're so afraid to let go of these things we hold onto. We're afraid because it seems as though it's all we have. We can feel it, touch it, sense it, reach for it, even. But you can't hold onto the things of this world and reach for Christ at the same time. We try so hard to have both - but all we need is Christ. We can't serve God and something else. We can't have just one hand raised - we have to have two hands.
So empty my hands
Fill up my heart
Capture my mind with You!
I love that song. Super cool photo!
ReplyDelete