Wednesday, February 17

My Book of Days

I got this song stuck in my head last night, and it reminded me of my friend Rachel's post on her blog about the gifts God has given us of the present, cherishing the moments we have - because everything we do is going into the past...into our own little "book of days".

Even when we fall - those go in the "book" too - and are part of the giant story God is making of our lives. "'Cause sometimes when you lose your way, it's really just as well....cause you find yourself" (Find yourself, Brad Paisley)

The lyrics are below because sometimes it's a little hard to understand...esp. when she sings in Gallic. ;) I really like the way this video was made - I think it captures the song well.



One day, one night, one moment,
my dreams could be, tomorrow.
One step, one fall, one falter,
east or west, over earth or by ocean.
One way to be my journey,
this way could be my Book of Days.

Ó lá go lá, mo thuras,
an bealach fada romham.
Ó oíche go hoíche, mo thuras,
na scéalta nach mbeidh a choích.

No day, no night, no moment,
can hold me back from trying.
One flag, One fall, One falter,
I'll find my day may be, Far and Away.
Far and Away.

One day, one night, one moment,
with a dream to believe in.
One step, one fall, one falter,
find a new earth across a wide ocean.
This way became my journey,
this day ends together, Far and Away.
This day ends together, Far and Away.
Far and Away.


The immediate thought is "what's in my book?" and this feeling of guilt/regret seeps in because if you read my book now it probably wouldn't be all that great of a story. But it's not talking about the past. The question we ask is "what am I putting into my book now?" Because really, that's going to affect the end of the story - and we want it to end well.

I noticed that the pages of the book in the video go backwards. But I think they should go forwards, don't you?

You know that novel-writing quote that says something to the effect of it being your character's "fault" for the way your story is turning out?

I think life is sort of like that. Not that God blames us, of course, but that He is authoring this huge story and He already knows the end. However the choices we make are going to take us there - and they are writing our "book".

What's going in your book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!