Saturday, February 5

We have a new doormat.

We say "dare to be different."
We say "Be yourself"
"Don't run from who you are."
"Go against the flow."

But you know...we'll only go so far.

We'll only be as different and radical as we can be while still looking nice on the outside. We think, "there's nothing wrong with being a Christian and still dressing nicely."

We've got to be perfect Christian models. We have to shine for Christ. Show the world that Christians can be normal too.

....

With an attitude like that, sometimes I wonder how I can call myself a follower of Christ. I forget it's not about shining for Jesus...it's shining because of Jesus. Being a Christian isn't a way of life - it is my life.

When Jesus says to forsake all, He really means ALL. For me, that means giving up this desire I cling to to be loved by people. To be cared about. I want people to tell me that they love me, that they care about me, and to show it. But Jesus calls us to give up the things of this world.

It's easier to not do what everyone else is doing than to do what everyone else is not doing.

It's easy to fall to the back of the line in quiet rebellion of the mainstream of the world. But it's a completely different story to be so radically different that you could be trampled on for what you are believing.

It's one thing to follow God's way of service if you are regarded as a hero, but quite another thing if the road marked out for you by God requires becoming a "doormat" under other people's feet....Are you ready to be sacrificed like that? Are you ready to be less than a mere drop in the bucket -- to be so totally insignificant that no one remembers you even if they think about those you served? [Oswald Chambers]

It's not so hard to go against the world. Because it's all black and white, in a lot of cases. But why, oh why am I so afraid of what other Christians think?

Maybe because I think the same way.
I judge people. I put them in boxes. I say "I must be a better Christian since I do/don't do that."
"Wow, they do that?! How could they be Christian??"

Oh, my wretched heart.
Dare to go against the mainstream.
To be so different that to the world you may not even exist.
But to God --

To God you are a precious gem in the palm of His hand.

2 comments:

  1. My sweet, dear friend. This is something I've been thinking of so much lately. It can be easy [some of the time] to stick out in the 'world.' Sometimes I think I sin more because I'm afraid of what other Christians think than because I'm afraid of what the world thinks. I have far too much... spiritual pride. [Which is ironic, considering I really don't have anything to be proud about except for in Christ].

    It's just so... difficult. I want to be admired. Liked. Praised. I have such a horrible heart. I put Christians in a little 'box.' I lable people based on what they say and judge them because of the things they do. My prayer is that I could see everyone the way Jesus does; with the kind of love He sees them with.

    Thank you for this reminder, my dear friend. You are such an encouragement and always seem to have a perfect reminder for me right when the Lord knows I need it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing about doing stuff because of Jesus not for Him. Sometimes I forget that we can only do things because of Jesus by His grace.

    Can't wait to see you on Wensday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!